ImagesPosted by Stephen Thu, February 02, 2017 07:04:28
At the moment, many drivers on the A6 in Kibworth are being delayed by roadworks near to the former Rose and Crown, more recently known as Raithas, and some are no doubt wondering about its past and its future because the building has been empty for some time.
This old coaching inn has a long history. The oldest part is the section facing Main Street, which dates to the late 17th century. In 1815, the route of the turnpike through Kibworth was changed to avoid the dangerous bends along Main Street, effectively making a 'bypass' and the A6 route as we know it today. This made the elevation facing the A6 more important. It was the busiest of the many inns along the route because the bypass diverted business from the inns along Main Street.
Since the closure of Raithas, the building has deteriorated. One hopes that the present owners will soon develop the site and retain at least some of the historic features that remain.
ImagesPosted by Stephen Tue, January 31, 2017 14:23:12
Just a few miles from Market Harborough is the quiet village of Blaston. The ecclesiastical
allegiances of the two modest little chapels in Blaston, separately dedicated
to St Giles and St Michael,
echo the ancient rivalries of the neighbouring villages of Hallaton and
St Giles has been long
associated with Medbourne, and St Michaels with Hallaton. It was not until the twentieth century that
they were united to create one ecclesiastical parish.
It is said that St Giles was
founded by Richard I. John Nichols informs us
that this was in recognition of the gallantry of Hugo de Nevill:
By king Richard
I, the lordship of Blaston was given to Hugo
de Nevill, a valiant knight, who being a servant in court to king
Richard the First, was in 1193 with that king in the Holy Land, where he
performed the part of a stout soldier; and likewise flew a lion by a shot with
an arrow into the breast, then piercing his body with a sword.
St Giles served the greater
part of the valley in which Blaston lies. For centuries it was associated with
Medbourne but maintained its independence as a free chapel with no
obligations other than the payment of a pension of 5s per year which allowed
parishioners from Blaston to be buried there.
Nichols believed that the chapel's independence arose from being founded
on royal demesne.
It was rebuilt between 1710
and 1714 with a round-headed doorway, two-light mullioned windows, and a small
bell-cote, and it is this building that is illustrated in Nichols with a nave
and small chancel and measuring just 50 feet 6 inches in length.
Both chapels were rebuilt
again in 1878 by the Revd. G. C. Fenwicke. The architect was George Edmund
Street who also designed the Parish Church of St Peters in Highfields in
The chapel of St. Michael is
first mentioned in about 1220 as belonging to that part of Hallaton church
owned by the Martival family, and was even smaller than St Giles, being only 33
feet 6 inches in length and 17 feet 6 inches in width.
The small chapelry of St
Michael comprised the eastern part of the village and a number of fields, and
was served for three days of each week from Hallaton. The paddock, to the south of the main street,
in which the chapel is situated, was owned by the rectors of Hallaton until it
was sold in recent years.
St. Michael's seems to have
been kept in very good condition in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Longmate’s engraving in Nichols shows it as a simple post-Reformation building with
square-headed windows and gables with parapets; but in 1838 the archdeacon
reported that the roof was in disrepair and the east and west ends cracking
away from the side walls. In 1842 he described St. Michael's as ‘a most mean
building in a dilapidated condition, its timbers rotten, slates loose, and
The chapel was allowed to
fall into worsening repair. In 1858 it was described as 'dilapidated, dirty and
dangerous'. Finally, in 1878, it was rebuilt, and services continued to be held
there until about 1922. It was partly
demolished in 1967 and is now an evocative ruin in a very peaceful setting.